- 1 What is a Load Cell?
- 2 Single Load Cell Machines
- 3 Four Load Cell Machines
What is a Load Cell?
It is a device that measures force. Load Cell Machine in a platform scale can measure a compression force, which is a force pushing down onto the device. Load Cell Machine in a crane scale can measure a tension force, which is a force pulling away from the device.
Single Load Cell Machines
What is a Single Load Cell Machine?
In a Single Load Cell Machine, there is a central Loadcell that measures a compression force.
As shown in the figure above, if the Load is putting on the pressure plate, there is a compression force acting on the Variac because of which the internal equilibrium gets disturbance. Proportionately, the scale shows the value of pressure – in our case the weight – on the place. Most of the scales manufactured use this type of construction.
The spacer allows the Loadcell to bend in both directions so that the weight can be accurately gauged.
- Single Load Cell Machines are comparatively cheaper.
- Construction is much simpler.
- Repair and Maintenance are easier.
- If the Center of Gravity of the Weight is towards the edge of the Platform Scale then there is a sheering force on the Loadcell resulting in permanent damage to the Loadcell.
- The Single Loadcell Structures are generally not water and dust resistant.
- If heavy loads are put towards the center of the Loadcells then the sheering force will damage the structure of the Loadcell resulting in incorrect weight.
- The ground clearance of these scales is higher which is a problem for heavyweights that need to be lifted fairly off the ground.
- If the leveling of the scale is not done properly then there is a significant weight variation.
In what cases should you use a Single Load Cell Machine, If
- The loads are not bulky, typically below 500 kgs, and if the placement of the load is close to the Center of Gravity of the Loadcell.
- The platform size is 750*750mm or lower.
- The loads are voluminous but not very heavy, like textile or cotton.
Four Load Cell Machines
What is a Four Load Cell Machine?
Epoxy Painted steel structure is extremely durable and prevents rusting for an extended period of time.
Adjustable feet allow leveling even on an uneven floor hereby transferring optimal force to the sensors in the Load cells and ultimately having a more accurate reading.
- Since there are four sensors, even if the weight is put on the edges of the scale, the weight is accurate and the structure nor the Loadcell is at risk.
- Generally, the Load Cells used in these types of structures are IP67 or IP68 meaning that they are dust and water-resistant.
- The Ground Clearance of these scales is very low therefore that heavy Loads don’t have to be lifted too much top load on the scale platform.
- Generally, the sheer beam Loadcells used in Four Loadcell Machines are of a higher capacity hereby making it more resistant to Loading and unloading stresses, impulses, and vibrations.
- Since these machines have self-adjusting screws, even if there is a small variation in the surface, the variation in weight is minuscule.
In what cases should you use a Four Load Cell machine, When
- There are heavy loads especially metals whose density is very high?
- There is a possibility of loading the material on the edge of the scale?
- The scale is subject to impulse loading or stressful loading and unloading?
- The scale is exposed to natural elements like outdoor in the yard, etc?
- The surface where the scale is Install not even?
- The Loads cannot be lifted far off the ground likewise of metals or construction site?
Industries where Four Load Cell machines are very popular
- Oil and Gas